Resolve Rosanna Road (RRR) believes the building of the North East Link is essential – as PART of what needs to be a broad-based, long-term freight and commuter plan for Melbourne that emphasises rail, and a range of innovative strategies, aimed at reducing road dependence.
We support the concept of the NELink freeway provided it delivers the best outcome for Rosanna Road in terms of improving safety and amenity, addressing congestion and improving accessibility for the local community.
What Does a Successful NELINK project look like?
We believe NELink is successful if it delivers on:
- Removing ALL through freight off Rosanna Road – including OD loads and dangerous goods trucks
- Removing through traffic off Rosanna Road
- Improvement to the amenity and safety of Rosanna Road for the local community
For the current NELink proposed alignment options to be successful the options must be modified to include:
- A permanent, legislated freight ban on Rosanna Road (including OD’s and dangerous good vehicles).
- Capacity in the design and development of NELink to cater for future needs to avoid Rosanna Road performing as a default freeway.
- No Road Tolls on NELink to encourage through traffic use or toll Rosanna Road for through traffic to encourage use of NELink
- Amenity improvement works to Rosanna Road such as reduction in speed limits, dedicated pedestrian/bike over or underpasses, dedicated bike lane along the roadway and landscape treatments.
MEANTIME – OUR SAFETY NEEDS ARE IMMEDIATE
Resolve Rosanna Road calls for:
- Reduced speed limit on Rosanna Road to allow people to access their driveways and improve general amenity
- Safer passage for pedestrians across Rosanna Road at all existing crossing points and:
- an additional pedestrian crossing between Darebin and St James Roads
- a designated pedestrian/bike crossing over or under Rosanna Road to access Rosanna Station and shopping centre
- Traffic lights at James Road
- Speed cameras
- Red light cameras
- Trucks restricted to a single lane
- No engine braking
- Relocation of power poles back from the roadway to avoid trucks bringing them down by truck tilt
FULL AND ONGOING MONITORING
Resolve Rosanna Road also calls for odour and noise monitoring, to assess the real impact of this road on the health of residents, and of children in the two schools that back onto the road.
OUR LONG-TERM VISION
When the North East Link is built, our vision for Rosanna Road is a two-lane road with designated bike lanes, and a ban on all through freight vehicles.